Referencing 2017-10-18T14:19:23+00:00


What information is required with the Application Form?

The agent will check references on all persons over the age of 18 who will be residing at the property. Unless otherwise agreed, reference checks will include a previous landlord’s reference, bank or building society reference, employer or accountant’s reference, and a credit check.

References will either be taken up ‘in house’ or through a reputable credit and referencing agency. It should be noted that each tenant pays a referencing and an administrative fee will become due when application is submitted.

Before setting up a tenancy, we will take up references on you. We use HomeLet Referencing Service to carry out a credit check. It is important that you supply us with mandatory information to reference you properly.

The form must be fully completed and legible. Missing information will delay your application and may endanger your choice of property.

When completing the reference application form, you will need to have the following information / supporting documents:

  • The full address of your current property, including the post code. If less than three years at your current address, a list of all your addresses for the last three years with post codes and dates of occupation
  • The full company name, address and post code of your employer (if applicable)
  • A contact name, telephone and fax number and email address for your employer
  • A contact / company name, address, telephone and Email of current letting agent or landlord (if applicable)

Proof of identity and proof of residency covering the last six months by producing at least one of the following:

  • Driving licence with your current address
  • Recent utility company bill no more than three months old
  • A recent mobile/telephone bill
  • A recent council tax bill in your name at your current address
  • Signed and dated letter from your employers human resources department or finance director showing the name of the individual and position within the company or a copy of your current tenancy agreement

Will I be accepted for a tenancy? Yes – if you

  • Have been working in full-time employment for at least six months
  • Provide addresses including postcodes for where you have been living (over 3 months in last 3 years)
  • Have a good credit history (subject to appeal where you can provide written proof)
  • Have satisfactory references from previous landlord (or letting agent if previously a tenant)
  • Earn a gross annual salary, which equates to at least 30 times the monthly letting commitment you are personally responsible for e.g. for a monthly personal rental commitment of £500, your gross annual salary must be at least £15k

Graduates or school/college leavers starting new employment must please supply a copy of a formal contract indicating salary and start date

Previous employment has been of a temporary nature it must be through a recognised employment agency and proof of 12 month earnings must be provided

But not if

  • Information given on the application is false
  • You do not meet the Decrees (Scotland)
  • Individual Voluntary Arrangements or Bankruptcies
  • CCJ/CD totalling more than £300, disclosed or otherwise, more than one CCJ/CD, disclosed or otherwise
  • An adverse reference from your previous landlord, managing agent or employer